Unearthed Melbourne 201507 Nov - 09 Nov
Driving Startup Style Innovation in the Resource Sector
This competition has finished.
The Smart Phone of Things
Smart Phones - we all carry them around the mine site – usually provided by our company for work use, yet we don’t really do much with them other than email, messages, Facebook and occasionally even phone calls!
When you consider the processing power and in-build sensors, along with a plethora of wearable devices that can be connected to these smart phones you realise that we are not using these technologies to their full potential.
- How do we get the most out of our smart phones?
- Think about real value to a Mining Company – Safety, Productivity, Financial benefits.
Pick one or two new uses and demonstrate your idea. Think outside the box, for example:
- Mesh networks via the smart devices to provide coverage in areas of no mobile service (this is common in the areas where we operate)
- Wearable technology – e.g. Fitness sensors, external watches, etc. that connect to the smart phone …
- Use-once, cheap, throw-away sensors
Focus on what is relevant to a mine – underground or surface. The experienced industry mentors are here to help bounce ideas off.