Barrick and BHP Billiton are partnering with Unearthed, Caterpillar Inc. and MRIWA to jointly host the Shield-X Challenge, an international hardware hackathon for the resources industry taking place from 28 April – 5 May 2017 in Perth and online.
Highlights of the release:
- BHP Billiton and Barrick are joining forces with Caterpillar Inc. and Unearthed to change the way the resources industry communicates on safety.
- The Shield-X online challenge, supported by community partner MRIWA (Mineral Research Institute of Western Australia), will provide opportunities for engineers, developers, designers and innovators around the world to work with the mining industry.
- The competition will involve designing a safety-stop device that can communicate to any piece of autonomous equipment, regardless of the brand.
- Participants will have a week to design and submit their prototype and pitch online to the Shield-X partners.
- There will be co-working space available in Perth at CORE Innovation Hub for local participants.
- More than $20,000 in prizes are on offer, as well as the chance to work with top industry executives and tech talent to assess and develop the winning prototypes.
- Shield-X kicks off with a live event in Perth on the evening of Friday 28 April. Representatives from each of the partnering companies will discuss why they are involved in Shield-X and the potential benefits to the industry.
Read the full press release here.
Download the challenge poster.
Holly Bridgwater, Industry Lead – Crowdsourcing, Unearthed:
email@example.com, +61 449 900 929
Hannah Frankish, Marketing and Communications, Unearthed:
firstname.lastname@example.org, +61 406 702 177